The Jodidi Lecture is among the most prominent lecture series of the Weatherhead Center and is one of the most distinguished at the University. Established in 1955, the lecture series provides for the “delivery of lectures by eminent and well-qualified persons…for the promotion of tolerance, understanding and good will among nations, and the peace of the world.”
The following Jodidi lectureships have been delivered at Harvard since 1958:
"Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Nadia Murad in Conversation with Jennifer Leaning"
2018 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and founder of Nadia's Initiative
Professor of the Practice of Health and Human Rights, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Cosponsored by the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at Harvard University
- Transcript of Jodidi Lecture delivered by Nadia Murad and Jennifer Leaning
- Harvard Gazette, "Nadia Murad: The Making of an Activist"
- Nadia's Initiative
- Nadia Murad's book, The Last Girl: My Story of Captivity, and My Fight against the Islamic State
- Nadia Murad's 2015 statement to the UN Security Council
"Democracy’s Crisis: On the Political Contradictions of Financialized Capitalism"
Henry A. & Louise Loeb Professor of Political & Social Science at the New School for Social Research
"Insidious Threats to Academic Freedom in the US and Abroad"
Advisory Committee; President, Berggruen Institute
Advisory Committee; President, Central European University
- Transcript of Jodidi Lecture delivered by Craig Calhoun and Michael Ignatieff
- Harvard Gazette, "The Pressures on Academic Freedom"
“The Cosmopolitan Ethic in a Fragmented World”
His Highness the Aga Khan
Cosponsored by the Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Islamic Studies Program
- Transcript of Introduction by Professor Ali Asani
- Transcript of Jodidi Lecture delivered by His Highness the Aga Khan
- Transcript of Conversation with Professor Diana L. Eck
In the Media:
- The Harvard Gazette, "A Call to Build on Differences"
- The Huffington Post, "Aga Khan: We Can Achieve A More Cooperative World If We Understand Our Differences, Not Erase Them"
- The Huffington Post, "Aga Khan at Harvard: Islam and the Cosmopolitan Ethic in a Fragmented World"
- Cambridge Chronicle, "Muslim Leader Calls for Embracing Diversity at Harvard Speech"
- Harvard Magazine, "The Harvard Remarks of the Aga Khan"
"Israel and Palestine: From Iconic Conflict to Iconic Solution or, Is It Time for New Paradigms?"
Israeli Author, Political Leader, and Activist; Former Speaker of the Knesset; Chairman, Jewish Agency for Israel.
“Islam and Peace-Building in West Africa”
Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III
Sultan of Sokoto, Nigeria
"Exploring Islam in Nigeria: Panel discussion precedes visit by Sultan of Sokoto," Harvard Gazette article.
“Individual Rights—Universal Peace”
Chairman, Norwegian Nobel Committee; Secretary General, European Council
"The Harvard Foundation Honors Jagland," Harvard Gazette article.
“The Future of Peacekeeping”
United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations
(Delivered at the Center's annual conference in Talloires, France.)
“Ireland and the EU: Promoting Peace and Prosperity at Home and Abroad”
Prime Minister of the Republic of Ireland
“Zambia & Africa in the 21st Century”
President of the Republic of Zambia
“The Geneva Initiative: A Realistic Utopia Creating a Window of Opportunity in a Wall of
Member of the Israeli Knesset and Labor Party candidate for Israeli Prime Minister
“Facing the Challenges of Development in Peru”
President of the Council of Ministers of Peru
“International Terrorism: What International Criminal Law Can Do”
Richard J. Goldstone
Justice of the Constitutional Court of South Africa
“India’s Approach to Economic Policy Reform”
P.V. Narasimha Rao
Prime Minister of India
“Democracy in India”
Prime Minister of India
“The Role of Non-violent Action in National Security”
President of the Philippines
“The Prospects for Peace in the Middle East”
Former Israeli Foreign Minister
“The United Nations’ Potential in Shaping Tomorrow’s World”
Javier Pérez de Cuellar
United Nations Secretary-General
“Third World Debt and Global Recovery”
Former Head, World Bank
“Among the Believers: An Islamic Journey”
Novelist; 2001 Nobel Prize in Literature
“Equity and Security: The Challenges to American Foreign Policy”
US National Security Advisor
“The Revolutions in Southeast Asia”
Prince Norodom Sihanouk
Former Chief of State, Cambodia
“Has the Atlantic Alliance a Future?”
Professor of Sociology of Modern Civilization, Collège de France
Lee Kuan Yew
Prime Minister of Singapore
Minister, First Ministry of State, Greece
“Democracy in Germany”
Leader, Social Democratic Party, Germany
Stevenson Research Professor, University of London